Wednesday 24 April 2013

Athens, Greece: Food food food


Just came back frm Athens 3 weeks ago! And becos the memory is still fresh in my mind, I'm gonna kick start this blog by introducing some of the yummy Greek dishes I had during my recent trip!

Stoa of Attalos
Andrianou 9

For our first proper meal in Athens, I brought my family to this authentic Greek restaurant which I found on Google (I typed in "Must try food in Athens" and some website recommended this place!)

Took us abt 5 min to locate this place! It's on a street called Andrianou and there are loads of Greek restaurants there! A very crowded area (or at least, it was pretty packed when I was there on a Saturday!)
Anywayz while I was there, it was sunny and the alfresco dining area seemed to be a more popular option among the locals? But my family chose to sit indoors haha! We ordered a few items to share:


This isn't a Greek salad! I can't rmb the name! But the portion was massive!
Fried cod fish. It was okay.
Dolmadakia, wine leaves stuffed with minced meat.
Read abt this Greek dish on the internet so I decided to order it. But to be honest, I was rather disappointed with it! It was okay, not fantastic!
Didn't expect the food portions to be so big! We were stuffed after lunch! Quite a disappointing first meal (in my honest opinion)! I expected quite a bit after reading the reviews on tripadvisor etc! Maybe I'm just not used to the taste???

O Thanasis
Mitropoleos 69
(In Monastiraki Square)

So one of the must try dishes when in Greece is Souvlaki! According to various websites on Google, O Thanasis seems to serve the best Souvlaki in town so we decided to try it!

Pork souvlaki! There's a chicken and beef option too, not sure if they do lamb.

Souvlaki is essentially small pieces of meat on a skewer + pita bread + fries. It was my first time having this so I really didn't knw what to expect of it! Not even sure how I'm supposed to attack the dish. Do I eat the meat with pita at the same time? Or...???
Anywayz sad to say, once again, I was disappointed with the food! Hmmm maybe I'm just too picky but this dish really failed to meet my expectations! The meat wasn't all that tender. It was somewhat tough. Overall, it just didn't quite make the cut. I knw it looks pretty good in the picture but looks can be deceiving!!!

Froyo

Froyo (Frozen yogurt) can be found everywhere in Athens! And it's so cheap and good! I ate the 1euro yogurt frm Everest for 3 consecutive days while I was there, simply becos it was so cheap and yummy!!! Everest is a popular local coffee place which can be found in almost every corner in Athens. Be sure to try the froyo and stuff your face with it while you're there!

Not frm Everest but nonetheless, it was very yummy!
I love my froyo topped with oreos and raisins!
Gyro

Another must try dish when you visit Athens is Gyro! I'm not sure of the name of this restaurant becos we chanced upon it on our way back to the hotel but it's located near Omonia Square. It was selling gyro for a ridiculously cheap price, I can't quite rmb but I think it was abt 2.50euros? If I'm not wrong, you can get gyro at a relatively low price in Athens!

Gyro is somewhat similar to a kebab I think! A gyro is essentially meat, vegs, fries and mayo wrapped in a pita bread. The Greeks seem to love pita bread alot! But anywayz the meat is roasted on a vertical spit for many hours so it's very moist and tasty! I really enjoyed this dish alot!!! Cheap, good and very filling!


Just me stuffing my face with my gyro.
Would have loved to recommend this restaurant becos the owner was very friendly and attentive to our needs. He was constantly checking if we needed more napkins/ asking us how was the food etc. But I really can't recall the name of the shop! What a pity!

Krinos
Aiolou 87

Loukoumades! The Greek donut at Krinos was amazing! I read abt it online and I'm so glad I made a trip down to try it! I went there on a Sunday but it was closed (Btw most shops in Athens are closed on a Sunday) But I really wanted to try this cos the reviews online seemed amazing, so I made another trip down on Monday!
The Greek donut is different frm all the other donuts I've tried before. It isn't as sweet. It's very very crispy on the outside but fluffy on the inside. And it's served with honey drizzled all over. You'd expect it to be very sweet cos of the amt of honey they pour on your donuts but surprisingly, it wasn't that sweet! It was perfect! Simply amazing.

So damn good.
Quick Pitta
Mitropoleos 55

Decided to try out this restaurant cos the price seemed pretty reasonable (Read: CHEAP!!!) And we weren't that hungry at that time and just wanted sth light. And I'm so glad we picked this place! The service was good and food was delicious!
My parents ordered souvlaki to share and I decided to go for the strawberry and parmesan cheese salad! Best salad ever. There were walnuts in it too, adds to the texture of the dish and I loved it!

Not that cheap, abt 5.50euros but I think it was money well spent!
 I'd strongly recommend this restaurant as it's good value for money and the food's amazing!

That's abt all for my food adventures in Athens! Stay tune for my nxt update regarding my trip! X

No comments:

Post a Comment