Thursday 26 September 2013

Kuala Lumpur: Authentic Hainanese delight at Yut Kee

Visited Kuala Lumpur for a few days with my family during my summer break. My dad drove frm Spore to KL, which took us abt 5 hrs in total. I used to visit KL every yr when I was younger as my mom is a Malaysian. However, due to my busy schedule, I think my last trip to KL was at least 5 yrs ago!

Spent 2 days in KL and as usual, we stayed in The Royale Bintang which was walking distance frm Bukit Bintang, the shopping district in KL! It's a nice hotel with facilities like swimming pool, gym, free wifi etc and I would recommend this hotel becos of its superb location! You can check out its website (http://www.royale-bintang-hotel.com.my/rbkl/index.html) for more info.

Anywayz I'm so glad that I managed to meet up with one of my classmates, Jiding, during my short trip to KL! She lives in Subang, abt an hour away frm KL and so touched that she came down with her mom to KL on a Sunday morning to meet my family and I! They brought us to a really authentic Hainanese coffee shop, Yut Kee for some tasty treats!

Yut Kee
35 Jalan Dang Wangi
50100 Kuala Lumpur
(Closed on Mon)
 

 

 
 
Toasted white bread with home-made kaya (RM 2.40)
Hainanese pork chop (RM 8)
Lum mee (RM 7)
Their famous roast pork!
Each serving comes with 2 slices of roast pork and apple sauce (RM 15)
Our spread (clockwise): Hainanese chicken chop, French toast, kopi, milo, lum mee, roast pork and Hainanese pork chop!
Hee hee with Jiding!
Family pic

Jiding and her mom came to pick us up frm the hotel and drove us to the place! So I'm not too sure how to get to this place by public transport! But I'd say you could take a cab!
 
So Yut Kee is an old Hainanese coffee shop which has apparently been around since 1928! We arrived there at abt 11am and there was alr a queue forming at the entrance! We immediately joined the queue and after waiting for abt 15 min, we realized that we were supposed to leave our name at the counter and not just stand arnd! So if it's your first time there, do inform the person at the counter and wait for him to call out your name when there's a table available!
 
We waited for abt 25 min before we got a place! I was really hungry by then! Decided to be typical tourists/ Asians, and ordered half of the stuff on their menu to share so we could try everything out! This is what I love abt being Asian -- sharing food!!! Somehow I feel that sharing food brings people closer!
 
We ordered their French toast (RM 3.50) and it was absolutely delicious! Can't believe that I didn't use to like French toast until this year! Their kaya toast was really yummy too! My dad even bought 2 bottles of their home-made kaya to bring back to Spore.
 
The lum mee was kinda disappointing. It looked so good to me but when I tried it, it was just meh~ On the other hand, the Hainanese pork chop was really tasty! There was loads of gravy on top of the pork chop and the meat was really juicy and tender! At only RM 10 (SGD$4), it's definitely a must-try when you visit Yut Kee! They also serve Hainanese chicken chop which was equally good!
 
Another must-try when you're at Yut Kee would be their legengary roast pork! Its only available on weekends (Fri, Sat and Sun) after 10am and as Yut Kee only prepares 14 rolls a day, it's usually sold out by noon. Although slightly pricey at RM 14 (SGD$5.50) for 2 slices, it's definitely worth the money! It's served with apple sauce at the side but I liked it better without the sauce.
 
All in all, it was a delightful brunch at Yut Kee! Special thanks to Jiding and her mom who kindly drove us to and fro frm our hotel to the place and treated us to the meal!
 
Gonna end off this entry with a photo of me carrying my dad's old sch hand-carry luggage bag taken on the day we left KL for Malacca!
 

Till the nxt time~

No comments:

Post a Comment