Tuesday 24 September 2013

Lisbon: Famous egg tarts in Belem

Continuing frm my last entry on my trip to Lisbon (in April 2012).....
(You can read it here: http://weilingweilingweiling.blogspot.ie/2013/06/lisbon-portugal.html)

Gonna write abt Belem and the famous Portuguese egg tarts today! So Belem is in another part of Lisbon and to get there, you can take tram no. 15 frm Praça da Figueira Square or Praça do Comércio. I think the whole journey took less than 30 min!

Once you arrive in Lisbon, there are a few places you must check out:
 
Pasteis De Belem
Rua de Belem 84Lisbon 1300-085

Top of the list would have to be Pasteis De Belem, the bakery which sells the famous Portuguese egg tarts!

 
 


 
 

 
DO NOT leave Lisbon without trying these egg tarts. Everyone says that these egg tarts are the best they've ever had and I have to agree. It was amazing. I don't even like egg tarts but Portuguese egg tarts are so good! They're 1000 times better than Chinese egg tarts/ the ones sold in Hong Kong.
Even the egg tarts sold in random bakeries along the street were delicious! But nothing can beat the ones in Pasteis De Belem!!! Definitely the best of the best.
 
Once you arrive in Belem, you'd be able to spot the shop frm afar. There's usually a long queue outside the shop but it moves pretty fast. It's €1.20 per piece (€6.30 for a box of 6) and although slightly pricey, it's definitely worth the money!!!! It's served hot and you're supposed to sprinkle some cinnamon powder on the top before eating. The pastry crust was really crunchy and the egg custard was perfect -- it had a mild egg taste and wasn't too sweet. SO DAMN GOOD. It was definitely love at first bite~
 
I even bought back 2 boxes. Wish they had franchise outlets in other cities but sadly they don't. Wonder when will I ever get to eat this again.....
 
Belem Tower

 
Taken frm the top of Belem Tower

Belem Tower was built in 1515 and it served as a fortress to guard the entrance to Lisbon's harbor. Today, it is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Monument. You can pay €5 to gain entry and get to the top of the tower.
BUT in my honest opinion, it's not worth the €5 becos there's honestly nothing much to see (as you can probably tell frm my pictures)
 
Jeronimos Monastery
 
 
 



Basically the tram stops right in front of this place. You cannot miss it. It's huge and really pretty!!!! And guess what? I didn't go into the monastery.... REGRETS!!!! I saw pictures of the interior and it looked really pretty!!! I've no idea why Minjung and I didn't go in to check it out (probably becos we were running low on cash) but if I ever go back to Lisbon someday, I'd love to check out this place!!!!
It's €6 to enter the monastery and if you had to pick between the Belem Tower and Jeronimos Monastery, I'd say just go for the monastery!!!

So that's all for Lisbon! I'd love to go back there someday with my family since my parents haven't been there before! It's such an interesting and beautiful place!!!

Will write abt the other Portuguese cities, Sintra and Cascais, another time! X

No comments:

Post a Comment