Thursday 16 January 2014

Amsterdam: Dutch fries, pancakes, museums and free walking tour

Before I start this entry, can I just say that I LOVE AMSTERDAM!!! One of the best holiday destinations in Europe ever! My other top picks in Europe would be Lisbon and Berlin!
(You can read abt my Lisbon trip here: http://weilingweilingweiling.blogspot.ie/search/label/Lisbon)

So I visited Amsterdam twice in 2011 -- May 2011 and Dec 2011, summer and winter! And despite being there twice in 6 months, I still can't get enough of Amsterdam! I'm pretty sure everyone who has been there before would agree with me. I quote Ronald, "Weiling, why didn't you tell me how beautiful Amsterdam is?"

Indeed, Amsterdam is a beautiful place.
I even had this wild thought of living there someday! (Note: I don't usually have serious thoughts abt living in another country besides Spore -- I LOVE SINGAPORE!!!! -- Amsterdam's the first place in Europe I actually thought of living in!)

I love almost everything abt Amsterdam: The canals, the bicycles, the fries, the stroopwafels, their Chinese food (which tastes somewhat authentic!), the shopping, and most of all, the people.
The Dutch are so friendly and helpful! And somehow I think that the Dutch are really smart people becos most of them can speak at least 3-4 languages!!! They're made to learn English, Dutch and one other language in sch. Their command of English is very good and everyone I met in Amsterdam was able to speak fluent English so I guess language wouldn't be an issue! Most of them can also speak German since it's very similar to Dutch.
Also, if you didn't know, the tallest people in the world, measured by country, are the Dutch! And it is true!!! Most Dutch you see on the streets are really tall (and good looking hee hee!!!)

I think this video would give a good overview of what you'd expect to see in Amsterdam:


Yup, that's Far East Movement's Live My Life MV. It's filmed in Amsterdam and isn't it pretty!!!
(I love this song too hahaha)

So anywayz, the only reason why I visited Amsterdam in May 2011 was becos my dear pal, Ian, was doing his university exchange programme in Netherlands. He casually asked me over Facebook one day if I wanted to drop by Amsterdam to visit him and BAM, I decided to go after my exams in May, just before I head back to Spore for my long summer vacation!
Only thing is that, during my short 3 days in Amsterdam, I nvr actually met up with Ian (lol what a joke...) Becos just before I arrived, he went on a trip to Belgium and he lost his luggage on the way back to Netherlands. And his passport was in his luggage. LOL what are the odds....

So I spent the 3 days in Amsterdam alone (Insert sad face, bahaha just joking!!!) At 20 yrs old, that was my first time traveling alone! Truth to be told, I wasn't scared at all. I was excited abt exploring a new city by myself! Maybe it's becos I'm the only child, so I'm kinda used to doing things by myself and being alone (#foreveralone)
Anywayz that 3 days turned out to be really fun! In all honesty, I really enjoyed traveling alone! I don't have to stress whether my travel companion would feel bored/ tired/ hungry etc. I get to wake up at whatever time I want to and eat anything I want for lunch/ dinner at whatever time! I felt really free and it was sucha wonderful experience traveling alone. The only downside is that I've to ask random strangers to help me take photos and sometimes, it can be pretty awkward! But other than that, it wasn't too bad and I would love to travel alone again someday!!!

I went back to Amsterdam again in Dec that yr, but this time, with my family! I chose to stay back in Dublin over Christmas holidays that year, so my family flew up to Dublin frm Spore to visit me. We went to Paris, Amsterdam and Geneva for a short holiday before heading back to Dublin for Christmas.
It was my parents' first time visiting Amsterdam and both of them loved it too! I brought them to the same places I visited in May and took the exact same tours etc, but I nvr felt bored the entire time! Really gotta love every single thing abt Amsterdam, except for their strong wind haha.

From the Schipol airport to the city centre

It is easy enough to get from Schipol airport to the city centre. I've taken the bus and train before and would highly recommend the train for first-timers and people with a bad sense of direction simply becos it's the most convenient and fuss-free option. It operates 24hrs a day and the journey takes approximately 15min. The trains departs every 10min.
At just €3.60 for a single trip, it is the cheapest option available. You can purchase a ticket from the ticketing counter or the vending machines in Schipol plaza (just follow the signs)

Accomodation

So when I went in May 2011, I stayed in a place called Hotel La Boheme which is situated in Leidseplein.

 
Opposite the hotel.
Most places in Amsterdam have really steep stairs, so avoid bringing big luggages or else it'll be really tough going up and down the stairs!
 

I stayed in one of their single rooms and I've to say that the place is really clean and safe! The shared toilet was really clean as well! The hotel has free wifi and they provided simple breakfast every morning! Would recommend anyone traveling solo to stay here simply becos of its cleanliness/ security/ location!
Leidseplein isn't like the MAIN nightlife area but there are quite a few restaurants and shops arnd and it definitely didn't feel like a dodgy area (unlike the red light district/ waterloo/ central etc) It's really convenient, within walking distance to the tram line and not too far off frm places like Dam Square.
For more info, check out their website (http://www.la-boheme-amsterdam.com/)

And when I went with my family in Dec, we stayed in Ibis Hotel Central Station! It was located right beside the main train station in Amsterdam and it was really convenient too! If you're looking for a comfortable place to stay and you're not willing to fork out too much money, this place would be ideal!
For more info, check out their website (http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-9137-ibis-styles-amsterdam-central-station/index.shtml)

I don't have pics of the Ibis Hotel room but here's some pics of Central:

Amsterdam Central station
Loads of bicycles!

Area wise, I still think that Leidseplein is the most ideal place to stay in. It's not right smack in the middle of all the action, neither is it walking distance frm the red light district, but I honestly think that it's a safe and nice area to stay in esp if you're traveling alone!

Mode of transport around the city centre

You can travel arnd the city centre by foot since all the districts are pretty close to each other. When I travel, I like to explore the city by foot cos I believe that you get to see more things when you walk. Although you run the risk of getting lost, but it's definitely more exciting and you may even discover sth new while being "lost".
One thing I learnt frm traveling alone, ALWAYS be wary of the people arnd you. I'm super paranoid abt people following me, esp in a quiet alley, so I tend not to take short cuts. Also, sometimes I might be super lost but I'd try not to take out a map becos if I hold a map in my hands, it'll be super obvious that I'm a tourist and I'm lost. And also, I don't really like asking people for directions and if I have to do so, I'd go into a hotel/ shop to get directions. I usually try to pretend like I'm a local/ international student studying in that country and act like I knw the area very well. A little extreme but better to be safe than sorry esp since I'm a girl and I'm alone...

If you're a lazy traveler and hate walking, I suggest you get the GVB 24 hrs pass (€ 7.50) which entitles you to unlimited travel arnd Amsterdam. The pass is valid for 24 hrs frm the time you first check in (Eg. If you first use the pass at 3pm on Mon, it will be valid until 3pm on Tues) You can use the pass on tram, bus and metro! And best part is that the tram operates frm 6am to 12.30am everyday!
The pass can be purchased at any GVB ticket vending machine and I think you can get it on board any tram too!

 
Okay some lovely pictures of the city centre:
 

 


Canals and bicycles everywhere~
Pretty boat house!
 
 

 
 

Dam Square
 


Must try

One thing you must try when in Amsterdam would be their vlaamse frites which is essentially Dutch fries. I don't usually go crazy over fries becos it's so fattening but the ones sold in Amsterdam are soooo good!!!!! It's like super crispy and dry, not soggy at all. I ate at least one serving every day when I was there.

You can get your fries with a topping of your choice and most shops offer up to 10 different types of dressings. My favourite topping would be joppiesaus (pronounced as yuppie sauce I think, well at least that was how the locals taught me to say it!) Joppiesaus is essentially a mixture of mayo, ketchup and spices and although it may sound weird but I assure you that it's really yummy!!! I like it so much that I even went to the local supermarket to buy a bottle home!!!
Other dressings include peanut sauce, curry or the usual ketchup etc.

Although there are many shops selling Dutch fries, my fav vlaamse frites shop would be Chipsy King! I honestly think they serve the nicest fries I've tried during my 2 visits to Amsterdam.

Chipsy King
3 outlets including:
Leidsestraat 83
(In Leidseplein)

Vlaamse frites with joppiesaus, so yummy!!!
 

Another must try when you're in Amsterdam would be their Dutch pancakes!

Pancakes! Amsterdam
Berenstraat 38
1016GH Amsterdam

Bacon, banana and chilli pepper pancake, €9.50
Apple, mixed nuts, calvados (apple brandy) and cinnamon pancake, €9.50
Honestly cannot rmb what this is but it could be goat cheese, spinach, garlic oil and pine nuts pancake, €9.80


Banana, mixed nuts and chocolate sauce pancake, €9.50

So I found out that Dutch pancakes (otherwise known as pannekoek) are different frm the usual American pancakes and it's kinda like a must-try when you visit Netherlands. So I googled for the best pancakes outlet in town and found this place. In fact, I actually visited this place twice -- once during my solo trip and the second time with my family.
It's easy enough to find this restaurant. The bright lighting and cosy interior makes this place the perfect spot for a late brunch or lunch! There's a wide variety of pancakes for you to choose frm, including some of the funky mixes I ordered.

Dutch pancakes, unlike American pancakes, are much larger and thinner. Almost like a crepe. Of the 4 fancy creations I ordered, the last of the lot (goat cheese, spinach, garlic oil and pine nuts pancake) was the best! The apple pancake was so-so and the banana pancakes were not too bad either (you can nvr go wrong with bananas!)

Places you might wanna check out in Amsterdam -- Museums
 
Anne Frank Museum
Prinsengracht 263-267

 



The Anne Frank Museum is approximately a 20min walk from Central station. Alternatively you can also take the tram 13, 14 and 17 to get to the museum.
Adult entry is €9 and if you're younger than 17yrs old, it's €4.50. The Anne Frank museum draws a large crowd everyday hence it is advisable to purchase your ticket online to avoid the long queue.

I'd say if you had to visit a museum in Amsterdam, visit the Anne Frank museum. Anne Frank is a Jewish girl who had to go into hiding during the Second World War to escape frm the Nazis. She kept a diary while she was in hiding and the museum shows the living conditions at that time.

Van Gogh museum
Paulus Potterstraat 7
1071 CX Amsterdam
 

Visited the Van Gogh museum with my family! It is €15/ pax for adults, slightly pricey. You're not allowed to take any pictures inside which explains why I don't have any photos.
To be honest, I don't really know how to appreciate art pieces so this place was kinda boring for me. But if art is your thing, definitely do not miss out on this place! It's conveniently located at Museumplein, between the Rijksmuseum and the Stedelijk Museum.
 
Amsterdam free walking tour
Meeting place: In front of the National Monument in Dam Square
11.15am AND 1.15pm
 
Everytime I visit a country, I'd make it a point to google and find out if there's a free walking tour going on and go for it. I love free walking tours becos they're really informative and you get to see loads of places!
So this free walking tour covers a few places:
- The Old church
- Red light district
- Jewish quarters
- Royal palace
- Jordaan district
- Anne Frank house (No entry)
- Dutch East India Company
- Begijnhof Convent
- The widest bridge and narrowest house
 
So at the end of the walking tour, you can give a tip to the tour guides! Becos I'm a poor student, I usually give €5 but when I go with my family, we'd give €20 for 3 of us!
 
Some photos taken during the walking tour:




This is the small "I Amsterdam" sign in a uni (can't rmb the name!)

Besides the free walking tour, I'd highly recommend that you go for the Zaanse Schans windmills, Marken and Volendam half day tour!!! In my honest opinion, I think that no one shld leave Amsterdam without going on this tour! Loved every second of it, so much so that I WENT ON THIS TOUR TWICE!!! Once alone and another time with my family! And I still enjoyed myself as much the second time!
Will elaborate more abt this tour in my nxt entry -- hee hee, keeping everyone in suspense for now!

So stay tuned, I will be back with more pics on amazing Amsterdam! X

No comments:

Post a Comment