Sunday 11 August 2013

Bangkok: Shopping Paradise

Been too lazy to continue writing abt my Bangkok trip! Oops...

Well since I've been to Bangkok so many times, during the last visit, I didn't do any touristy things at all but only focused on shopping and eating (I'm a typical Singaporean!) Bangkok is indeed a shopping heaven. Things there are so ridiculously cheap!! I went crazy shopping in Korea last yr, thinking clothes there were really cheap but omg Bangkok is really the ultimate.

Platinum Mall
Nearest BTS: Ratchatewi
Opening hours: 9am- 8pm
(But I think most shops close at 7.30pm)

If you're a Singaporean, this place probably needs no introduction. It's somewhat like a wholesale shopping mall. Buy 2 pieces or more from the same shop and you'll get a discounted price. Most clothings are priced between 200-300 baht (SGD$8-12) So cheap, I wanna buy the whole shopping mall lol. I'm really bad at bargaining but I think bargaining is allowed in here (Ronald managed to convince the shop owner to give him a discount for his graphic t-shirts!)
There's also Platinum mall 2, which isn't as big as Platinum mall 1. Both malls are situated side by side.

To get there, simply take the BTS to Ratchatewi (Exit towards Pratunam) and you can either get a cab or walk for abt 10-15min. Ronald and I chose to walk and it really isn't that far!

Siam Paragon/ Siam Centre
Nearest BTS: Siam



Siam Paragon would probably be the most popular shopping centre in Bangkok. You can find most international and luxury brands there.
Siam Centre is right beside Siam Paragon and it has many designer boutiques worth visiting.

Siam Square
Nearest BTS: Siam

Located just opposite Siam Centre, this place resembles Bugis Village in Singapore. Things are cheap and you can bargain.

Asiatique
Nearest BTS: Saphan Taksin (Exit 2)
Opening hours: 5pm- 11pm
 
Crazy queue for the shuttle ferry to Asiatique!
  
It's not that convenient to get to this place but nonetheless, it is worth the visit. You can take the BTS to Saphan Taksin station and take the free shuttle ferry to Asiatique. Plz note that the queue for the ferry can be pretty long in the evening, so be prepared!
 
There are many small shops at Asiatique, selling a variety of things ranging from fairy lights to clothes and local snacks. I wouldn't say that the things there are very cheap/ worth buying but it's worth checking this place out if you haven't been there before.

Terminal 21
Nearest BTS: Asok
Opening hours: 10am- 10pm
 
A pretty new shopping mall with an interesting concept! Each floor is designed to look like a different country! Plus points that this shopping mall offers free wifi when you present your passport or ID at the information counter!
Terminal 21 has many small shops but things aren't as cheap as Platinum mall. Still worth the visit though!

 
Level 1: Tokyo!
 


 

Even their toilet is decorated to fit the theme!
UK!




 

  
USA!

Chatuchak Weekend Market
Nearest BTS: Mo Chit OR
Nearest MRT: Chatuchak Park
Opening hours: Sat and Sun, 10am- 8pm

Definitely a must go when you're in Bangkok for the weekend! It's my second time to Chatuchak Market! I went there once when I was younger and all I rmb was that after 10mins, I was soaked in sweat. I'd say go prepared, wear sleeveless tops and shorts and expect to leave the place sweaty and sticky!

There's loads of shops in Chatuchak, selling various stuffs ranging from clothes to pets. For clothes, visit Section 5 and 6. Things are cheap and you can bargain! And plz try the coconut ice cream at Chatuchak while you're there (OMG BEST THING ON EARTH!!!)

Union Mall
Nearest MRT: Phahon Yothin

Situated near Chatuchak weekend market, this air conditioned shopping mall is the place to go when you're all sticky and tired frm shopping at Chatuchak! There are cheap clothes here and you can find some nice stuffs! Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area!

There's so many shopping centres in Bangkok but these are the few I'd visit if I'm only there for a short holiday!

Tip: Things in Bangkok are so cheap, hence when in doubt, JUST BUY. I really regretted not buying some stuffs! And always trust your own taste -- Ronald refused to let me buy a top I had my eyes on and now I can't stop thinking abt that top! And I can't even find a similar piece in Hong Kong/ Singapore. Sobz.

Okay promise to update abt my visit to Hong Kong nxt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment